TRAIN TO BE AN OUTDOOR INSTRUCTOR
Beach Lifeguard Course at Donegal Adventure Centre
Donegal Adventure Centre is an official RLSS Training Centre. We run regular Beach Lifeguard Courses here in Bundoran but we also can come to you and run a lifeguard course in your location.
The National Beach Lifeguard Qualification and the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification are awarded by the Institute of Qualified Lifeguards (IQL), and are nationally and internationally recognised as the essential standards of competence.
Each acts as a passport to employment with local authorities, outdoor centres and holiday companies both here in Ireland and throughout the world.
New! We are also mobile – if you have a number of candidates and can provide suitable conditions we can come to you – contact us on info@donegaladventure centre.
Prices & prerequisites
Donegal Adventure Centre: Every candidate attending a NVBLQ course must:
• Be 16-years-old or over at the time of the assessment
• Have a good level of fitness
• Surface dive to a depth of 1.5 metres
• Tread water for two minutes
• Climb out of deep water unaided and without steps
• Be competent at swimming in the sea
• Be able to swim 400m in less than eight minutes
• Swim 100m on the front, 100m on the back and 200m in less than four minuets
As much of the course will be held outdoors, we would suggest that when we move to the beach you bring the following items with you where possible.
- Wetsuit, swim gear, swim fins, running gear and a number of towels
- Warm outdoor clothing including head cover
- Outdoor footwear, runners, booties or old runners for the sea
- A complete change of clothing and footwear
- A bright coloured swim hat preferable Yellow NOT Blue or Black
- Note pad A4, biros etc
- Whistle also required, for training and assessment purposes
- Training prior to attending a training course, it is recommended
For any further information on Beach Lifeguarding see www.lifeguardsireland.com.
Numbers are limited to 12 persons per course, please phone to book 071 984 2418.
COURSE DATES: Monday 22nd April – Saturday 25th April 2020
COURSE FEES : €395 New Candidate / €210 Renewal fee
A non refundable booking deposit of €200 must be paid 2 weeks in advance of your course, to confirm your place and all balances must be paid before course commences
You can contact us at 071 984 2418 or make a payment online with our secure online payment system.
10 Week Winter Course now enrolling
Dates: Monday 7 October – Saturday 14 December.
4 days per week excluding the final week of course which is 6 days to include Beach Lifeguard assessment.
What training will I receive?
- Surf training, lifeguard training, high and low ropes training, team building & adventure activities, Leave No Trace awareness & work experience
- Training includes CPR & defibrillation and use of an AED (Automated External Defibrillator), treatment of choking, stroke and heart attack.
What Qualifications can I achieve?
Upon successful completion of the training, all candidates may be put forward for the following qualifications:
- The RLSS Beach Lifeguard Award – registration and course fees are included
- Leave No Trace Awareness
- Manual Handling Certificate
- Child Protection Awareness
- Certification in Team Building Adventure Activities
- Site specific low/high ropes training
- Certification in Work Experience
- CPR & AED Certificate
- Site specific ropes training
- 10 weeks of intensive surf & swim coaching & training including transfers to beach & other off-centre locations
- Free hostel accommodation for first week of course.
- Five internationally recognised qualifications for those who may wish to travel in the future.
- Admission to swimming pool for swim training
- Use of surfing & lifesaving equipment.
- RLSS Beach Lifeguard course.
- Cardiac first responder course
- Registration fees for the RLSS Beach Lifeguard assessment & Award
- Registration Fees for Cardiac First Responder Course (PHECC)
- All candidates will receive their own wetsuit, boots, hoodie and t-shirt.
- Trained by some of the most experienced instructors in the North-West.
- The Outdoor Instructor Training Course (OITC) is a training course for candidates who wish to become instructors working in the area of surfing and other beach & land-based activities.
- This course concentrates mainly on the RLSS Beach Lifeguard Award and training for the ISA level 1 surf coach award.
- Over the ten weeks, candidates will also train in adventure (land-based) activities, leadership skills, team building & development and beach first aid skills.
- Candidates are expected to attend Monday-Thursday 10am – 4pm for the duration of the course with the final week Monday – Saturday to include assessment.
- Candidates are not required to have previous surf experience, however it is desirable if candidates have previous surfing experience.
- Surfing and swimming training are major parts of this course, and you can expect to be in the water every day.
- Candidates are expected to possess a level of fitness for daily training. Training will include water-based and land-based activities.
- Candidates will do basic training in low ropes, climb & abseil and high ropes instruction. Candidates will also participate and learn skills of conducting team-training activities and land-based activities.
“Doing the Donegal Adventure Centre’s Outdoor Instructor Training Course has been one of the most challenging yet rewarding things I have ever done!! I could never have done it without the amazing support I received from all the DAC staff, our instructor and my fellow group members; a truly amazing group of people.
I found through their encouragement, I was able to push myself beyond my own expectations and build my confidence to another level. Every day was another adventure, of learning new things and always fun!!
One of the best experiences I’ve had! Thank you DAC!”
Siân Alaw Jones
CPR & Defibrillator (AED) Training
We are delighted to be able to offer Cardiac First Responder courses. You can do them here in our training centre or our instructors will travel to you.
Participants will be trained on the techniques of CPR and on the use of the AED (Defibrillator Training) including various scenarios where the AED can be used.
The course is aimed at those expected to respond to emergencies in the working environment or sporting environments as using the AED is extremely important in the first minutes after a cardiac arrest.
- Adult /child & infant chain of survival
- Adult /child & infant cardiac pulmonary resuscitation
- Recovery position, care of the unconscious casualty
- Foreign body airway obstruction
- Automated external defibrillation
- Aspirin administration
- Handover to healthcare professionals
- Critical incident stress management
Method of Training
This training course includes a classroom presentation, practical demonstrations and discussions throughout.
Training handouts, training records and evaluation forms are also provided.
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) Cardiac First Response Responder & Emergency Care – Valid for 2 yrs.
1 Day duration. Max. number of candidates 6. 10.00am – 3.00pm